Thursday, June 23, 2011

Graphic Novel webcast

I watched the graphic novel webcast from School Library Journal yesterday. I thought it was an interesting webcast. It sure gave me a lot to think about. I had never considered the complexity of the pictures as being anything special. I found this quote particularly insightful -- "Francoise Mouly, co-founder of TOON Books, says '…instead of being „dumbed down' by comics, the systematic use of symbols in the comics medium demands that the reader use his or her imaginative and interpretive powers.”

I did find that at Stockbridge and Lourdes the good readers were not interested in the graphic novels that were different versions of the regular novels they had already read. However, they were interested in original graphics. By the way, I shelved graphic novels in the fiction section of the library, not in the art section of nonfiction. I interfiled them with the rest of the fiction section. Any thoughts on interfiling vs. a separate graphic novel section? At Stockbridge and Lourdes we didn't have enough graphic novels to warrant their own section.

I myself am not fond of graphic novels -- I find the nonlinear text difficult to read. But I have bought them for my libraries and have found them very popular. The only problems I have in dealing with graphic novels are these: which ones are the most popular (and will have the most staying power)? and what age levels are they appropriate for? My predecessor at Stockbridge thought the reading level was the same as the age appropriateness; she had that same misconception regarding regular books, but there was more guidance from Follett, SLJ and others regarding the maturity level of regular books vs. graphic novels.

Does anyone have suggestions as to dealing with this situation as I have had a hard time convincing others (teachers and parents) that not all books written at the third grade level are appropriate for third graders? I have explained high-low books, given examples, etc. without making any headway.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Pam. I'm glad you were able to make it to that webinar. We shelve in the 741.5s, as does our public library. That puts non-fiction graphic novels in their dewey space, which means they get lost. I think a special section is probably ideal, but I do think students who like them will find them.

    I think it is interesting that we teach visual literacy with picture books, and only give the Caldecott to books where the pictures and the story are equally powerful (and work together) and then wonder if graphic novels are legitimate literature.

    I don't love the form personally, but I've read some good ones. I think there are lots of different kinds of works that get lumped together, and we need to work on that.

    For teens, this is a good source of reader reviews and information about the genre http://www.noflyingnotights.com/index2.html

    I think you asked a lot of interesting questions -- maybe other people will have more answers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shelve the graphic novels in with fiction books. We do have enough at one library to warrant their own section, but I liked that the kids who were interested in them look at the whole fiction section of the library and not just a few shelves. In one of my elementary schools, I shelve the playaways right in with the fiction and nonfiction too. That way kids look at more of the sections and books in the library.

    I agree and dislike reading graphic novels myself. I think they are too hard to read.

    ReplyDelete